Drill is an Apache open-source SQL query engine for Big Data exploration. Drill is designed from the ground up to support high-performance analysis on the semi-structured and rapidly evolving data coming from modern Big Data applications, while still providing the familiarity and ecosystem of ANSI SQL, the industry-standard query language. Drill provides plug-and-play integration with existing Apache Hive and Apache HBase deployments.
What's New in Apache Drill 1.9
Drill 1.9 provides the following new features:
- Asynchronous Parquet reader
- Parquet filter pushdown
- Dynamic UDF support
- HTTPD format plugin
What's New in Apache Drill 1.8
Drill 1.8 provides the following new features and changes:
- Metadata cache pruning
- IF EXISTS parameter with the DROP TABLE and DROP VIEW commands
- DESCRIBE SCHEMA command
- Multi-byte delimiter support
- New parameters for filter selectivity estimates
- Changes to the configuration and launch scripts - See Configuration and Launch Script Changes
What's New in Apache Drill 1.7
Drill 1.7 provides the following new features:
- Monitoring via JMX
- Hive CHAR data type support
- HBase 1.x support
What's New in Apache Drill 1.6
Drill 1.6 provides the following new features:
- Inbound impersonation
- Additional custom window frames
What's New in Apache Drill 1.5
Drill 1.5 provides the following new features:
- Authentication and security for the Web interface and REST API
- Experimental query support for Apache Kudu (incubating)
- An improved memory allocator
- Configurable caching for Hive metadata
What's New in Apache Drill 1.4
Drill 1.4 introduces the following improvements:
- select with options that you use in queries to change storage plugin settings
- Improved behavior when parsing CSV file header names
- A variable to set non-pretty, such as compact, printing of JSON
- Better drillbit.log files that include query text
Drill 1.4 fixes an error that occurred when you query a Hive table using the HBaseStorageHandler (DRILL-3739). To successfully query a Hive table using the HBaseStorageHandler, you need to configure the Hive storage plugin as described in the Hive storage plugin documentation.
What's New in Apache Drill 1.3
This releases fix issues and add a number of enhancements, including the following ones:
- Enhanced Amazon S3 support
- Hetrogeneous types
Support for columns that evolve from one data type to another over time.
- Text file headers
- Sequence files support
- Enhancements related to querying Hive tables, MongoDB collections, and Avro files
What's New in Apache Drill 1.2
This release of Drill fixes many issues and introduces a number of enhancements, including the following ones:
- Support for JDBC data sources, such as MySQL, through a new JDBC Storage plugin
- Improvements in the Drill JDBC driver including inclusion of
Javadocs and better application dependency compatibility
- Enhancements to Avro file formats
- Partition pruning improvements
- A number of new SQL window functions
- LAG and LEAD
- FIRST_VALUE and LAST_VALUE
- HTTPS support for Web Console operations
- Performance improvements for querying HBase, which includes leveraging ordered byte encoding
- Optimized reads of Parquet-backed, Hive tables
- Read support for the Parquet INT96 type and a new TIMESTAMP_IMPALA type used with the CONVERT_FROM function decodes a timestamp from Hive or Impala.
- Parquet metadata caching to improve query performance on a large number of files
- DROP TABLE command
- Improved correlated subqueries
- Union Distinct
- Improved LIMIT processing
What's New in Apache Drill 1.1
Many enhancements in Apache Drill 1.1 include the following key features:
- SQL window functions
- Partitioning data using the new PARTITION BY clause in the CTAS command
- Delegated Hive impersonation
- Support for UNION and UNION ALL and better optimized plans that include UNION.
What's New in Apache Drill 1.0
Apache Drill 1.0 offers the following new features:
- Many performance planning and execution improvements.
- Updated Drill shell now formats query results.
- Query audit logging for getting the query history on a Drillbit.
- Improved connection handling.
- New Errors tab in the Query Profiles UI that facilitates troubleshooting and distributed storing of profiles.
- Support for a new storage plugin input format: Avro
In this release, Drill disables the DECIMAL data type, including casting to DECIMAL and reading DECIMAL types from Parquet and Hive. You can enable the DECIMAL type, but this is not recommended.
Apache Drill Key Features
Key features of Apache Drill are:
- Low-latency SQL queries
- Dynamic queries on self-describing data in files (such as JSON, Parquet, text) and HBase tables, without requiring metadata definitions in the Hive metastore.
- ANSI SQL
- Nested data support
- Integration with Apache Hive (queries on Hive tables and views, support for all Hive file formats and Hive UDFs)
- BI/SQL tool integration using standard JDBC/ODBC drivers
If you've never used Drill, visit these links to get a jump start: